Friday, May 25, 2012

May 21 - 25


It's been a rough week. Last weekend didn't offer us much of a break to get organized, and the kids have been wild and uncooperative. I've had a cold all week. And, we are heading right into a busy Saturday tomorrow! I'm looking forward to a relaxing Sunday. We did get some stuff done this week, though.

Math - We used our Melissa & Doug abacus to work on addition up to ten. I'm trying to help Suzi learn to start counting from a number other than zero. For instance, if she is adding 3+3, she can slide three beads over, say "3," and then count "4, 5, 6." She is getting it, but with a lot of guidance from me. Needs practice. We are also still working on counting past 20, which needs more work, but during the last part of each month we practice it fairly often on the calendar. Her birthday is coming up on the 30th and she loves counting the days that have passed and figuring out how many she has to wait until her special day! We are also still counting by 10's. She can do it pretty well looking at the sheet, and I'm trying to help her learn to do it without looking at anything. Today we tried counting by 10's on our fingers.

Science - We talked about taking care of the environment by picking up our garbage and recycling. Also for science, we read our Oak Meadow story, which this week was about the journey of Rainbow Raindrop. We only just got around to reading the story today, so we'll have to do the suggested activities (watching rain puddles for evaporation, looking for a rainbow) next time it rains. Speaking of rainbows, I have been wanting a set of prisms for our windows for years, and today I finally ordered some on Amazon! Can't wait for them to get here. Lastly, Suzi is still interested in termites! I'm having a hard time finding any more videos or interesting material about them to show her!

Reading - She can now easily get through those first eight flash cards. We'll start a few more next week. As usual, we read some easy readers and I read some longer, just-for-fun books to the girls. Today we read "The Art Lesson" by Tomie DePaola because it went along with the rest of what we discussed.

Social Studies - I wasn't quite sure where to start with this, but I knew from questions Suzi has asked in the past that the subject would interest her. I decided we'd begin discussing different jobs in our community. Suzi's Busy Town drama class was an excellent start for this. They talked about different roles in our community, and in the play there was a teacher, a doctor, and a police officer. This week I talked to her briefly about police officers and EMTs, and taught her to dial 911. I'm sure I'll have to refresh her memory on that later. I'd also like to teach her her phone number soon. She already knows her address. Then we talked about teachers and read "The Art Lesson," which is one of her favorite books. Suzi says she does not want to be a teacher--not even an art teacher. She just wants to be an artist! I told her that one thing artists can do is draw the illustrations for someone who has written a book, or, like Tomie DePaola, write the book themselves and do their own illustrations. She says I can write the book and she will do the illustrations. I told her I thought that was a great idea! Write a book illustrated by my daughter - it's on my bucket list!

Clock - We are taking a little break from this. Suzi is sick of doing it and it turns her goofy whenever I pull it out. Do you know what I mean?

Money - She hasn't had a desire to do chores for money lately, but she is still learning the coins and keeping up with her own money. We practice naming the coins and telling how much each is worth at least a couple times a week and whenever it comes up in day-to-day life.

Health - We talked a little about different kinds of exercise, but I'd like Suzi to see/experience some new things. I want to take the girls rollerskating, but that's going to be hard with Robert--if Jordan or I fell while carrying him in the Ergo, it could be bad. I think sometime soon I might ask my parents to keep Robert while Jordan and I take the girls skating. Or maybe Grandma can come to the skating rink with us and we can take turns holding Robert, since Grandma loves to skate too. Also, I need to remember to keep my eye out for that children's yoga class! Maybe in the meantime I will try to find a yoga program online or on DVD and invite Suzi to do it with me.


Other activities this week included a friend's birthday party at the water park (my mom kept Robert so I could enjoy some time with the girls, hooray!), and on Wednesday my mom came over to help me and a friend make these for our kids.

Know what it is? Stay tuned for my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment